We are heading back to our hometown of Chicago to celebrate the end of The Achievement Tour!
Join us for Tribe Assistant auditions, convention classes, industry panels and the Black & Gold Ball.
REGISTER BY JULY 7TH!
INTENDED FOR DANCERS WITH BEGINNER OR RECREATIONAL LEVEL TECHNIQUE. TYPICALLY, AGE 9 AND UNDER.
INTENDED FOR DANCERS WITH INTERMEDIATE LEVEL TECHNIQUE. TYPICALLY, AGE 10-13.
INTENDED FOR DANCERS WITH ADVANCED TECHNIQUE AND/OR PROFESSIONAL STAGE EXPERIENCE.
PERMITS DANCER TO ATTEND ONE DAY OF THE AYA SUMMER INTENSIVE.
EACH REGISTERED STUDIO IS ENTITLED TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY DIRECTOR/TEACHER PASSES. ADDITIONAL TEACHER PASSES CAN BE OBTAINED FOR $30 EACH.
PERMITS PARENTS TO OBSERVE ALL CONVENTION CLASSES. ADDITONALLY, PROVIDES ENTRY TO PANELS AND CONVENTION ACTIVITIES. OBSERVER BANDS DO NOT ALLOW ACCESS TO OBSERVE AUDITIONS DURING THE EVENT.
Celebrating the end of our tour season with the biggest party ever: The BLACK & GOLD BALL!
Join us for DJ, dancing, red carpet, photo op displays, treats, best dressed black & gold outfit contest and more.
Entry into the Black & Gold Ball included with intensive registration.
This year's theme is :MASQUERADE
Dancer's are encouraged to pair their formal wear with a mask, headpiece or face paint. Don't have a mask? Visit the mask creation station at Summer Intensive and design one!
HOLIDAY INN CRYSTAL LAKE CONVENTION CENTER
800 South Route 31, Crystal Lake, IL 60014
$119/ NIGHT Any Available Room Type With Code AUA
The AYA Summer Intensive will take place over three days with classes, panels and activities planned for each day of the convention. Summer Intensive will feature Primary, Pre Pro and Pro Level classes in addition to Teacher Only classes.
Styles offered: Summer Intensive may include but are not limited to: Contemporary, Jazz, Musical Theatre, Latin, African, Stepping, Improv, Hip Hop, Tap, Ballet, Modern, Lyrical, Across the Floor technique and Pro Level Industry Heels.
REGISTRATION AND CHECK IN: Registration time to be announced.
If your dancer(s) is registered under a dance studio/company, they will receive their audition number and entry band from their Studio Owner or Director. Studio packets will only be given to studio representatives. If your dancer(s) is registered independently, they are welcome to come to registration for their welcome packet.
TEACHER LANYARDS: Teachers and Directors will have lanyards in place of bands for Summer Intensive. If you need additional lanyards, please visit Merchandise or Registration.
CONVENTION SCHEDULE: The draft schedule for the Summer Intensive is available to view on SUMMER INTENSIVE (activateyourartistry.com) . Please note, convention schedules are subject to change at the discretion of AYA. A copy of the schedule will be in welcome packets and posted outside each ballroom at the event.
Dancers will receive a glow in the dark band in their welcome packet. Dancers must wear their Summer Intensive bands during the entire convention including the Black & Gold ball.
PARENT OBSERVER BANDS: Parent observer bands are required to watch and film intensive classes. Auditions and teacher classes are closed to all parents regardless of observer band purchase. Thank you in advance for your understanding. Both the closing show and the industry panels will have open, first come first served seating.
TRIBE AUDITION APPLICATIONS: If your dancer(s) received an invite to audition for The Tribe OR would like to audition, they must submit an audition application to be permitted into auditions. There is no separate fee to audition, but an application is required no later than July 7th, 2024.
TRIBE ASSISTANT AUDITIONS: The summer intensive will feature two auditions; PRO TRIBE on Wednesday July 17th and the MINI TRIBE on Thursday July 18th. Both auditions will be judged by a panel of convention faculty. Dancers will be taught 2-3 short combinations and will also be requested to improv in their preferred genre. If time allows, dancers will participate in a single interview question. Dancers should be prepared to spend up to two hours in auditions.
Auditions are closed to parent observers. We thank you in advance for your understanding. Dancers who are invited to join The Tribe will be announced at the closing show. We will have a photo op for Tribe invitees in the foyer following the closing show. Dancers who are not invited to The Tribe can request for a listing of areas for improvement via email following the event. Additionally, dancers who cannot attend the Closing Show will be notified via email in regard to their audition results following the intensive.
TRIBE INFO MEETING: Come have a chat with the owner of AYA about The Tribe and what is entailed in this unique opportunity. If your dancer is auditioning for The Tribe for the first time, you are welcome to attend this meeting and get more information about the upcoming tour! Please see the convention schedule for meeting time and location.
BLACK AND GOLD BALL:We are so excited to celebrate the end of our tour with the Black & Gold Ball! Dancers are encouraged to wear black and/or gold(yellow) to this event. Attire can be formal or simply creative. We will feature a best dressed contest @ 8:15 pm during the ball and we will crown our Best Dressed King or Queen. Dancers can sign up backstage at 7:45pm during the ball to participate. The ball will feature music, dancing, curated photo ops, refreshments and a cash bar. Dancers are encouraged to eat dinner during their evening break before the ball as a full meal will not be served and to bring money if they would like to purchase a beverage.
IMPROV COMPETITION: The Summer Intensive will feature our first Improv Competition! Dancers can sign up to participate at Registration from 9:00 AM until 5:00 pm on Wednesday. Dancers will compete in three levels : Primary Improv Competition, Pre Pro & Pro Improv Competition, Tribe Only Improv Competition. The winner of each Improv Competition will be awarded our Improv Champion Sash, Trophy, Scholarship Package and Website Feature. Awards will also be given for the 1st and 2nd runner up in each division.
SCAVENGER HUNT: Visit registration to grab a scavenger hunt form and join your friends for a riddle-filled hunt throughout the convention ballrooms. Each dancer or group, if working together, can request ONE hint at registration if they get stuck. Visit registration once you have completed your form and select a prize out of the mystery box!
We are aware that closing show tech rehearsal overlaps with the scavenger hunt. Once dancers have teched through their specific class choreography, they will be dismissed to participate in the scavenger hunt if they would like.
INDUSTRY PANELS: The summer intensive will feature two panels. Topics for panels will be announced when registration opens for Summer Intensive. Seating is first come, first served for all panels.
Closing Show: The closing show will feature routines from The Tribe, attending studios and choreography taught in convention classes. At the end of select classes, the faculty will award invitations to perform their choreography in the closing show. Dancers who are picked for the closing show must attend tech rehearsal to be allowed to participate. Classes featuring this symbol ( ** ) will be featured in the closing show. Dancers should come to Summer Intensive with a black and white outfit to wear for the closing show in the event they are invited to perform.
The closing show will conclude with our Closing Show overalls, convention scholarship presentation and the announcement of the 2024-2025 Tribe. The mainstage will remain open for 30 minutes following the show for photo opportunities.
ORDER OF PERFORMANCE: The Closing Show order of performance will be released on July 10th by midnight CST once information from competing routines has been received by AYA.
SAFETY: On site security will be available for the Summer Intensive. If you are in need of assistance, please speak to management or visit Registration. Additionally, first aid will be made available at Registration. Dancers may help themselves to any first aid items.
- Participants may register for either a three-, two- or one-day convention pass for the Summer Intensive. Registration fees can be paid at the time of registration, or a $175 refundable studio deposit may be submitted to reserve a spot for this summer event.
- Full and Half regional scholarships are not valid for Summer Intensive. Quarter Summer Intensive Tribe scholarships are permitted to be redeemed for this event.
- Registered studios are permitted to submit ONE routine to represent their studio in the closing show on Friday. Submitted routines can be any group size including solos and also any level. Closing Show routine submissions are $60 each.
- Dancers may be asked to perform choreography they learned during convention classes in the closing show. Dancers should come prepared with a Black and White outfit to wear in the event they are selected for the closing show.
- Parent observer bands are available for this event. Observer bands permit the bearer to observe and film convention classes. Tribe Auditions and Teacher Only classes are closed to parent observers.
- Each registered studio is entitled to two free Director/Teacher bands to observe and participate in classes and panels. Additional teaching staff bands can be obtained for $30 each.
- The first day of convention will conclude with the BLACK & GOLD ball! Come dressed in your best and coolest black and gold outfit. Join us for DJ, dancing, best dressed contest, hor d'oeuvres and more. Ball entry included with Summer Intensive registration.
- The convention schedule for this event will be posted no later than 7 days before the event. The order of performance for the closing show will be posted no later than 5 days before the event. Convention schedule and closing show order subject to change. Sample list of events is located at the bottom of this webpage.
Tribe auditions for the 2024-2025 season will be held during the AYA Summer Intensive. Registration to attend the intensive required to audition. Summer Intensive registration will open in January 2024.
- Dancers who are unable to attend the summer intensive Tribe audition will be permitted to submit a video audition with permission from ownership. Video submissions will only be reviewed if all spots are not filled at the summer intensive. Video submissions will only be accepted until submission capacity has been reached. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1st, 2024 to submit a video audition request. Only 10 video submissions will be accepted for consideration.
- Summer Intensive auditions will consist of a technical dance combination, industry dance combination, improv in dancers preferred style and faculty interview.
- Tribe invitation scholarships entitle the recipient to 25% off summer intensive registration.
- Dancers must submit a headshot and full body action photo when registering to audition. Photos can be professional or self-shot. No competition photos or convention photos permitted. Due to copyright, photos must not contain banners or logos from other companies. Photos will be shared on social media of dancers who are selected to join The Tribe. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
- Dancers who are invited to The Tribe will be announced at the closing ceremony of the summer intensive on the final day of the event.
- There is no fee to participate in the Tribe Assistant Program if selected. Tribe Assistants are compensated with a Full tuition scholarship for the season as work-study, social media features, website features and complimentary Tribe attire. Tribe assistants are also invited to perform in the opening number, perform during final bows, participate in virtual events, photo shoots and in studio conventions. Travel and accommodations are the responsibility of each assistant and/or their guardian.
- Tribe Assistants are typically age 12-college age. Dancers younger than 12 years old by the start of the season will be considered for the Mini Tribe.
- Tribe Assistants must be able to commit to no less than two tour cities to be considered for a seasonal contract. Mini Tribe Assistants must be able to commit to at least one tour city to be considered for a seasonal contract.
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?? Send us a message or email.
We are happy to answer any and all questions!
- Registration Opens
- Welcome Ceremony
- Convention Classes
- Tribe Auditions - 12 and Older
- Banner Signing
- Black and Gold Ball
- Single Day Registration Opens
- Convention Classes All Levels
- Improv Competiton
- Choreography Panel “Creating Movement “
- Tribe Auditions - Mini Tribe 11 and Younger
- Scavenger Hunt
- Closing Show Tech Rehearsal
- Tribe Parent Meeting
- Bonus Tribe Classes
- Single Day Registration Opens
- Convention Classes All Levels
- Industry Panel - Open Q & A
- Convention Banner Signing in Main Foyer
- Scholarship Presentation
- Tribe Assistant Invite Announcements
- Closing Show Competition